« Home | Breast Cancer The Cure » | Why Contact Lenses Are The Best Choice Of Eyewear » | More Fruit Constipation Remedies Part II » | Sunroom Windows - Consider Window Treatments, Cost... » | Popular Faux Painting Techniques » | Make Hand Washing a Holiday Habit » | Eligibility and Requirements for the GED Test » | Hives: An Itchy Mystery » | Getting the Advice of a Lawyer for Mesothelioma As... » | Paris Hilton's Reputation is SHOT! How's Yours? » 

Monday, January 28, 2008 

Working Too Many Hours Is Counter Productive

How did we get to this 24 by 7 world? One person I know blames the Blackberry. Even before the Blackberry though, we had pagers that made people easily accessible. Oh sure without cell phones maybe our response was less immediate but we still could provide 24 by 7 response.

When I started my career at AT&T people worked from 8am to 5pm. I had a position in sales which included customer service i.e. helping the customer to locate his/her equipment after it was ordered. Not everyone took the customer service piece seriously. In fact sales being sales most account executives wanted to sell not chase orders. I had colleagues who actually hid from their customers service calls!

Now you can get away with that when you are the only game in town but when competition is fierce you have to change your tune. So eventually even AT&T got to having it the rule rather than the exception that people worked long hours and were accessible 24 by 7. No more hiding!

As a youngster I remember jokes about doctors in the summer all being on the golf course on Wednesday. Dont get sick on Wednesday unless you are on the golf course. Havent heard that in a while and I actually had a Wednesday appointment with my doctor. She may not work 24 by 7 but the office is open for emergencies 7 days a week.

The pendulum has swung in the opposite direction now. Were working longer and harder these days and it has gotten really difficult to take time for ourselves. I struggle with this myself. Last summer I took my first vacation without my computer or telephone and went to Italy for two weeks. Scary!! I survived and surprisingly last year was my best year in business. Maybe it was because of the vacation?!

This year I have already put my July vacation on my calendar and made plans to go to Santa Fe, New Mexico. I tell my clients that its important to set some boundaries around the time we need for ourselves and our families. I am very good about scheduling family time but setting aside time for myself often gets lost in the rush. What about you?

Of course I work for myself so I dont answer to anyone else. When you work for a company, it becomes even harder to take good care of yourself. The culture may reward those who put in extra time. Working during vacation time may in fact be an unwritten requirement.

Not only do we need vacations on a regular basis but we also need time for reflection and contemplation during the day. Finding this can be extremely difficult if you are working in a culture that rewards people for spending longer hours in the office. Grabbing a few minutes of quiet time during the day may be hard but not impossible. (Check the Take Action section for some quick break ideas.)

Making a few minutes of quiet reflection a priority in your life is one way to get some of that time you need for yourself. When I was a busy working mother, my children knew that when I came home from the office, I went to my room for a few minutes before I started cooking dinner and/or helping with homework. I needed that time to unwind and refocus.

Even if you just allocate a few minutes, it can be helpful. Hopefully if you have success with small amounts of quiet time, youll begin to add more!

We also need to have professionals, business owners and boards of directors step up and be vocal on this issue. Professionals need to demand their vacation time. Business owners and boards of directors need to begin to advocate some down time during the day, the week and the year. They need to reward their employees for taking all their vacation time annually.

It is in the companys best interest to do so. The stress of all this work leads to health issues both physical and emotional for employees. With health insurance costs so high perhaps this alone might inspirecompanies to pay more than lip service to allowing time to relax, regenerate and reflect.

Take Action

1. Schedule some vacation time for this year. Put it on your calendar. Select your destination and make plans.

2. Want some ideas for taking a quick break? Read Ten Ways a Busy Attorney can Take a Quick Break on my website http://www.asparker.com/ppts0706.html (You dont have to be an attorney to use the ideas!) Select one way to take a break and make it a habit. Take a daily break.

3. Contact the Take Back Your Time organization at http://www.timeday.org for ways you can support a movement to get Americans (Canadians too) to take their vacation time and limit work to a 40 hour week.

About Alvah Parker

Alvah Parker is a Practice Advisor and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parkers Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. To subscribe send an email to join-roadtosuccess@go.netatlantic.com.

Parker works with successful attorneys who feel overwhelmed by their work and are willing to take action to create a more profitable practice and a more fulfilling life. Alvah also helps attorneys and others who want to change careers and find the work that is more meaningful and fulfilling. Alvah is found on the web at http://www.asparker.com She may also be reached at 781-598-0388

Exhibit Sexual Dysfunction
Penis Exercises Scott County Ia
Arabian Jelqing
Best Methods For Enlargement
Impotence Pill
Penis Exercises Monroe County Ny
Jelqing In Custer County Id
Male Erection Supplements
Penis Exercises Roseau County Mn
Jelqing In Jefferson Davis Parish La